Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A Creative Filled Weekend

I accomplished alot this weekend. I completed three spreads and re-learned how to knit. I had previously learned how to knit a while ago, but never had the time to actually practice enough to hone this skill. My friend Deborah, is a knitter so I asked her to give me a knitting lesson this weekend. She graciously agreed. So, I went over to her place on Saturday for my lesson, some scrappin and some catching up. I learned how to do a long tail cast-on and how to knit and purl. She even wrote out definitions for everything she taught me and gave me homework. After my lesson Deborah snapped a picture and then proceeded to rip out all my work and sent me home with homework. Unfortunately, she left her camera in Long Island so I will have to post that photo another time perhaps.

So, I had to cast-on again all by myself at home. I did it though and it looks a little better than the one I did at Deborah’s place. I have a problem with tension, but as I keep practicing I’m getting better…not so tight anymore. As she says…”Practice make perfect.” So, I will keep on practicing. I will also post a photo later of my homework assignment progress.

Anyway, back to my three spreads completed this weekend. First, is the “Harbor Cruise” spread. This was actually a work event for me. I work in the Office of Student Affairs at NYU School of Medicine and this was one of the many events we organized during Orientation Week for the incoming first year medical students. Sue, Maya, Mariel and myself were just there to make sure everything ran smoothly and none of the students got out of hand. We enjoyed ourselves though as you can see from the pictures in this spread. We had a lot of fun.









For this spread, I used paper from an old world paper pack and Bazzill cardstock. The letters are Cuttlebug die-cut Olivia and the flowers are CTMH and the brads are Making Memories. I really like how this spread turned out. It took me a while to get to this point. When I first laid out these pictures, I had no idea how to place them, but it all came together in the end and I like the results. I guess creativity just takes a while sometimes.


The cutie pie in the “Cutie Pie” spread below, is my youngest niece Mia. Isn’t she adorable? She just looked so cute, just as happy as she could be with her fried chicken drumstick in hand ready to chow down. I just had to whip out my camera and take a picture. She was good this time and actually smiled nicely and I got a couple of great shots.







Only three pictures, so this is a simple spread for me. I’m used to working with more photos than this. So, I printed the close up picture bigger than the other two and put it on the first page of the spread. I used Deborah’s Sizzix die-cut (I’m not sure of the name) and cut out the letters in both black and white and layered the white over the black for a shadow effect. (hmm…I seem to be doing this a lot lately) Anyway, the date and her age are Heidi Swapp Apple pie rub-on letters.


On Sunday, I was able to complete my third spread, “A Broadway Show”. A few co-workers and I went to go see the Color Purple a Musical on Broadway. The show was really great and the set design was beautiful. I really enjoyed the show. Living in NY my whole life you would think I have seen many Broadway shows but I haven’t, so I was happy to have the opportunity to go and see this show at a discount ticket rate. I guess there are some perks to working in Student Affairs…we happen to sell these discount tickets.

Anyway, I also didn’t have many pictures to work with here. I scanned the playbill and the article in the playbill about Fantasia who unfortunately decided to take vacation during the time we went to see this show. The show was still good without her but I really wished I could have seen her play the part of Celie. So, I really like how this spread turned out. I used the same patterned paper from my old world paper pack, that I used on the Harbor Cruise spread but in purple and three different shades of purple cardstock. I used my CTMH flourish stamps and CTMH flowers that I purchased from Deborah’s sister Mary Beth, who is a CTMH consultant.








I also used my ribbon hole punch I got back from Deborah this weekend and weaved thin purple ribbon through the paper on the second page. So, I’m glad I got a lot done this weekend. I would love to hear you comments so tell me what you think. Have a great week!

4 comments:

Deborah-- said...

I really love the Color Purple spread. It turned out so pretty. Great job. The Heidi Swap letters on Mia's page are neat. Great job. Very productive for you. I still have to put the finishing touches on the spread I did.

Deborah-- said...

BTW...I noticed a tiny boo boo on the Color Purple Spread. It can be fixed though! (Hint: Look at the title).

Mary Beth said...

I love the Broadway Show layout. I have to start using my Flourishes stamps, too. The paper layering/combining are perfect. I think your pages are beautifully executed. I also like the red colored spread. Nice contrasts here.

Lisa Rae said...

Duh! How did I not catch that...uhh! Anyway, thanks for pointing my booboo out. I will fix it.

Thanks, Deb and Marybeth, I really like how the Broadway Show spread turned out too. I think it looks very different than any spread I have done. I love using the flourishes stamps. There great!